Orillia Power Generation Corporation, formed in October of 2000 as a result of the Electricity Act, 1998 is a subsidiary of Orillia Power Corporation which is wholly owned by the City of Orillia.
Orillia Power Generation owns and operates three waterpower generating stations – Swift Rapids GS at Lock 43 on the Trent Severn Waterway, Minden GS on the Gull River and Matthias GS on the south branch of the Muskoka River at Matthiasville, near the Town of Bracebridge.
Swift Rapids GS is the oldest and largest of Orillia’s generating stations. Construction began in 1913 and the first power was transmitted in November of 1917. With full load water flows, this plant is able to produce 8 MW of electricity.
Minden GS, the second of three was commissioned in 1935. At full load water flows, this plant has the capacity to produce 4 MW of electricity.
Matthias GS – the smallest and newest was commissioned in 1950. With full load capacity, it has the capability of producing 3 MW of electricity.
Orillia Power takes pride in operating and maintaining its 3 generating stations and strives to continue to produce environmentally friendly energy.